Saturday, May 19, 2012

Engine out of 1800ES




First - document transmission wiring - as much as possible - hard to take pictures of switches on top.

Next disconnect driveshaft and remove mount

Remove clutch cable, and remaining wiring. 

It wasn't too bad pulling the engine, not that much to disconnect.  One important note - how strong do you think an oil filter is?  Well strong enough to lift the front end of a car off the ground minus the weight of the engine when it jams between the exhaust and the body.  I suppose the fact that the engine wasn't able to tilt meant that the transmission was carrying allot of the load but it was no fun getting the filter off - nor removing the socket with 6" extension that jammed between the engine mount and under the exhaust flange supporting the weight of the exhaust system 1/2 back under the car.
Clutch cable connection to yoke

alternator wiring

starter wiring

thermal timer wiring, oil pressure hose

engine coming out

engine out but crane about to hit door

when complementing the purchase of your own engine hoist make sure to purchase a load leveler
Once free of the oil filter and raised off the crossmember and forward of heater blower the engine can be tilted up for removal of engine and transmission

Of course the last time I did this I had 16 feet of clearance - this time I had to set the unit down and move the chains to hold the unit closer to the crane connection as it was about to hit the raised garage door.  Since the lift was 1/2 way out the door I couldn't close the door either - won't be a problem on the '67 - the car is nose in.




engine clear but transmission and OD to go

Engine out!






So I finally get the engine out and clear -  it is about 10 till 8.  I go to give Maggie a little attention when I find she released herself on her own recognizance.  Fortunately a neighbor down the street saw her walking on her own and invited her in to stay awhile.  I looked all over town to no avail -then I got a message at home.  They initially called my cell phone but miss dialed.

the hole left by Hilts, too impatient for her evening walk








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home