Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lights, washer, alternator light

I started cleaning the garage tonight and found the old washer pump, tank/bottle and mount.  I didn't know if the motor worked and the impeller was not attached and the bottom of the pump was off.  I tried to fix it before but the bottle leaked so in the end I purchased one from ebay and set the broken one aside.

So what do you know - I purchased a car without a washer bottle and pump.  It only took a few minutes to fix the impeller and using a heat gun to warm the plastic so the bottom would snap in.  Then I found some scrap wires with terminal ends - I filled the bottle with some water and touched the wire leads to the battery and it pumped water out.  Of course I need to fix the leaky bottle and mount the mounting basket then run hoses but I will soon have a windshield washer.  I then studied the wiring diagram and owners manual for location of the washer bottle.  I found a yellow wire (more orange and black than yellow) but it is in the right place and when I hooked it up and pushed the button on the dash the motor ran. 

Having figured out the wiring diagram (source page) I also replaced the fuse for the left side marking lights.  Once replaced the lights work and now the instrument panel lights but the ALT light stays on.  I think this is a common problem and not a charging problem (description of problem and solutions).  Good news is almost all the lights work now - still need the licinece plate lamps to get the car ready to pass tech inspection for rallys (of course not having an accurate speedometer is a bigger problem for ralling). 

Next I will try to get the lights on the bumper to work -  then I will work on the corrosion issues issues in the fuse-block (tech article

Note garage is not yet clean enough to get the second 1800 in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home