Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A shade tree doesn't help when the heat index is 98



With the heat index topping 98 degrees the shade from the tree was of some benefit but it was a hot day to be changing brake lines.  The front end when smooth - all the old fittings broke loose - I even held off when the service manual recommended the expense of special wrenches to prevent stripping or rounding off the fittings.  (I would have driven straight to Sears just as soon as I began to round of a fitting using an open 2 sided wrench.)  I had no problem loosening and of the fittings or the 8 bleeders.  I hit the fittings with a blast of simple green using a air driven engine cleaning gun, dried it with more air, a short spray of PB Blaster, a little heat from a heat gun then a bit more PB Blaster.  I got things just hot enough to soften the rubberize under coating on the fittings up next to the chassis. 

The only problem I had was one lug nut did not want to move - cross threaded - I broke the stud just using my foot and the tire iron.  This was not good as one of the wheel stud right beside it was already stripped.  Since there was nothing for me to do I continued with the rest of the lines - the rear lines were it better shape than the fronts but I had the SS lines so I replaced them - they were the hardest to break free at the pressure reducing valve but still nothing rounded off.

I pulled the rear disk and looked at the hub - no way for me to remove if like the brake drum/hub on the '67 with a tapered shaft to put on a press.  I thought about drilling or driving the old studs out in place but decided that this was a job for a shop.  I reattached the rear caliper and went onto bleeding the system until new clear fluid came out.   

The bleeding with the pressure tank worked well other than the cap did not fit quite right and just before the 8th bleeder was opened it popped off and sprayed brake fluid all over the engine and fender.  I grabbed the bucket of strong detergent and quickly rinsed the fluid away then followed up with some more soapy water and the hose.

When the job was done I put the three nuts on the rear wheel and slowly drove the car to the shop as few blocks away.  It was one of the best $60 I have spent.

So far the brakes work great - no pulling or dragging - good solid stops.  I have yet to fully test the system but I have the felling that the brakes will easily exceed the friction limits of the tires if I really push it.  The nice thing is no spongy feeling to the system.  Now I just need to get a brake warning switch but more on that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home